KNOW YOUR CONTACT LENSES
Did one ever think of contact lenses as a device? These are in fact tiny devices which can be worn on the anterior (front of the eye) surface of the eye ball to correct vision, for cosmetic or therapeutic purposes.
These are made of bio friendly material called as silicone hydrogel (soft contact lens) polymethylmethascrylate (Rigid crus permeable) with oxygen permeability which provides comfort to the eye while wearing it.
Though harmless contact lenses are to be taken with proper medical advice. One could take some trial sessions too before using them.
Usually they are categorized into daily disposable/Fortnightly disposable/monthly disposable / yearly disposable according to their replacement schedules. These schedules are to be followed aptly since lenses tend to have deposits of allergens & germs.
Contact lenses should be discontinued at once if there is any discomfort.
How does one use your contact lenses correctly Usage instructions
- It is important to wash hands with soap without moisturizer before touching the contact lens to be used.
- Hands are not to be dried with towels since they are mostly contaminated with microorganisms.
- These have to be stored only in the case provided for the purpose filled with lens solution(Antimicrobial)
- Contact lens solution in the case is to be changed every day
- While taking the lens from the case always check for any dust particle/ any rough surface/ lint before wearing it to avoid discomfort and corneal infections.
- While wearing contact lens make sure it is not inside out.
- Contact lens is taken on the pad of the index finger with the concave side upward and placed on the eye.
- Soft contact lenses can be placed on the white part (sclera) and slid into place. Rigid contact lenses can be placed on the cornea.
- Mild discomfort can be noticed which fades away in few seconds.
- If irritation persists these should be removed and one should seek medical advice.
- Contact lenses can be pinched slightly to remove.
- Lens care is absolute necessary to avoid corneal infection and discomfort. It can be done with multipurpose lens solutions| Enzymatic cleaner.
- If ever you drop them on some dirty surface it should be ideally discarded to avoid infections.
- Sometimes sudden irritation and discomfort can occur in regular users in which case should seek medical advice at the earliest.
- Annual eye checkups are advisable in people using contact lenses
- Make sure your contact lenses purchase from a trusted source. Poorly fitted contact lenses could lead to damage eye function
- Contact lenses should be regularly replaced
- Don’t sleep or nap with your contact lenses chances of eye infection is 6 to 8 times while sleeping
- Don’t swim or shower with your contact lenses. As water can carry a lot of micro organisms increasing the chances o infections
- Never ever share contact lenses. As it increases the risk of infections and complications
- Don’t use tap water to clean or rinse the contact lenses. This could lead serious eye infections
Contact lenses provides a better peripheral vision when compared to the spectacles Maintaining your lenses wisely and proper usage of these little devices benefit the needy population to a greater extent.
Dr. Kalpana Rama Moorthi