AM I DEPRESSED? DO I NEED HELP?Cureka
All of us at times are sad or feel blue or down n out and dull. All of us feel sad but we also know it will change. When the sadness is overwhelming and you seem stuck in sadness for days without relief! When feeling sad extends for days and crosses two weeks then it is termed depression.
- Anhedonia: When you don’t feel any pleasure or happiness from the things that you usually enjoy doing. For example when music fails to move you or cannot get involved in a movie.
- Easy fatigability. When normal every day chores like bathing and climbing a single flight of stairs leaves u tired and wanting to rest.
- Crying spells.. Tearing up often and for trivial issues
- Anger outbursts and irritable mood, wanting to break the remote or smash the plates and bang the door
- Frequent thoughts of ending it all- suicide.. Harming yourself, hurting yourself, wishing you were never born and didn’t have to live. Talking of leaving everyone behind and being free
- Severe disturbances in sleep, waking up two hours earlier than usual, fitful sleep, unrefreshing quality of sleep.
- Anorexia or rather lack of interest in food, Poor appetite, significant weight loss.
- Slowing down of mental abilities, difficulty in concentration, and apparent loss of memory.
- Feeling guilty and a burden to others feelings of helplessness, hopelessness and worthlessness. Feeling that the future is bleak and grey.
- In severe depression called psychotic depression there can be additional symptoms of delusions /hallucinations where there is loss of touch with reality.
- In auditory hallucinations people hear voices from nowhere telling them messages or ordering them or commenting on their appearance.
- Some people can have strong false beliefs called delusions. Where they believe they have been infected with HIV virus or have become paupers or that the police will come and arrest them.
- Lack of concentration, poor self esteem, feeling unloved and unwanted for days on end! See the psychiatrist please! Hope is at hand!
Depression is not a sign of weakness or a taboo! Please ask for help if you or a loved one is suffering from depression. Seek the psychiatrist as soon as possible! Help is available!
Dr.Kavitha Arun MD.Psychiatric