The lips are a central defining feature of the lower face. The skin around the lips is distinct from the surrounding skin. The lips have a major effect on the aesthetic perception of the face in both female and male. Well-defined lips borders and fuller lips impart a sense of youth, health, and attractiveness.
The skin over the lips is not the same as other skin over the body, it is a transitional skin and very sensitive. The skin is prone to chapping (cheilitis sicca) because of external (environmental) and internal factors. Of the lips is a favored site for primary skin diseases.
- Chapped lips (cheilitis sicca) could be seen in patients with atopic eczema, or could be the only manifestation of a skin disease or appear as part of a generalized skin disease.
- Few systemic disorders(internal diseases) such as lupus erythematosus or allergic diseases can also present with lip chapping.
- Vitamin B deficiencies can present with cracked and red lips, redness of the lining of the oral cavity and the tongue, oral ulcers, cracks at the corners of the mouth (angular cheilitis), and a sore throat.
- Riboflavin deficiency causes ariboflavinosis, which manifests as cracked lips, inflammation of the tongue and dryness or burning of the oral cavity.
- Aging is a natural process, along with environmentally induced aging from external factors, the most notable of which is exposure to sunlight leads to reduction in collagen (lip fullness) and elastin (loosening) together with a loss in hydration(reason for cracking lips).
Lip balms usually contain:
- Lanolin is a natural wax obtained from sheep wool grease. It has low allergen capacity, and is a excellent moisturizer.
- Bees wax is very effective natural moisturizer. If one is allergic to honey then might develop allergies to this too.
- Natural Vit E, tocopherol or tocopheryl acetate can be man-made or derived from plants,
- Castor oil is a thick, viscous liquid derived from Ricinus communis plant
- Fragrances usually Peppermint oil are used
- Sunscreen agents: mineral sun blocks such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide more preferred to chemical sunscreens.
Some specialsied balms could contain:
- Human growth factors
- Hyaluronic acid and marine filling spheres
- Tripeptide palmitoyl-glycyl-histidyl-lysine (Pal-GHK) complex.
Lip-plumper formulation contains:
- Emollients and
- Essential fatty acids.
There are many more ingredients which are used; the most common ones have been discussed here. Hopefully this article has cleared many a doubts about chapped lips.A good knowledge helps the customer choose the right kind of brand and product to help themselves.
Dr. HEMA SATHISH M.B.B.S., (UK)
Cosmetic Dermatologist | Sanche Cosmetic Centre
DEVADOSS MULTI SPECIALITY HOSPITAL
Low back ache is a very common ailment affecting all age groups and both sexes. It can be very debilitating and can lead to loss of work and income.
- Acute pain can come when pain occurs suddenly
- After straining
- Lifting heavy objects
- Travelling etc.
Before taking medicines like:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Muscle relaxants or pain killers
- Home remedies like heat therapy
- Cryotherapy(cold Therapy) and
- Liniments one could try few home remedies
Cold Therapy has been demonstrated to decrease nerve conduction velocity, exerting a local anesthetic effect. Topical cold acts as a counterirritant, increasing small nonmyelinated C-fiber activity that inhibits nociceptive signals within the spinal cord and brain stem. Lowering of muscle temperature reduces muscle spindle sensitivity and overall muscle tone. Cold therapy contrary to heat therapy can cause the blood supply to slow down and inhibit chemicals causing inflammation..
Heat Therapy has a muscle relaxation effect and also improves the blood supply to the area of pain, hence washing away the pain causing chemicals such as substance P in the back. Heating decreases gamma-fiber activity in muscle, reducing the sensitivity of muscle spindle to stretch. Heat may also stimulate areas of the brain, exerting a psychosomatic effect.
Liniments or topical pain relieving gels or oils also cause increased blood supply and reduce pain
Many scientific studies prove the point that, heat therapy and cryo therapy can reduce pain in the low back region. An ordinary hot water bottle can work but the heat given is not sustained. Commercially available heating pads work well. Only precaution would be to make sure the heat is not too much to burn the skin especially in diabetic individuals who may not perceive sensation well. Some devices can create heat and cold alternatively which works very well.
Back belts or lumbar corsets, work by reducing the movements of the spine, and also giving support to the spine reducing muscle strain. It will be useful to wear Lumbosacral belts while travelling and working.
Home remedies are helpful many time they surely or best way to pamper oneself. But if the pain is persistent or increasing, it is advisable to seek medical help.
Dr. SATHISH DEVADOSS
M.B.B.S.,M.S.,(ortho)M.CH.,ortho (UK),FASIF (Aust)
Orthopaedic Surgeon | MEDICAL DIRECTOR
DEVADOSS MULTISPECIALITY HOSPITAL