ON WORLD CIRRHOSIS DAY- 10 POINTS ON THE LIVER DISEASESCureka
ON WORLD CIRRHOSIS DAY- 10 POINTS ON THE LIVER DISEASES
- Cirrhosis is a complication of liver disease which involves loss of liver cells and irreversible scarring of the liver.
- Alcohol and viral hepatitis B and C are common causes of cirrhosis, apart from other causes.
- Cirrhosis can cause weakness, loss of appetite, easy bruising, yellowing of the skin (jaundice), itching, and fatigue.
- Prevention by alcohol avoidance, hepatitis vaccination, avoidance of NSAIDs (Pain Killer) drugs, iron supplementation when appropriate, and a low-fat diet are prudent in patients with chronic liver disease and halt progress to cirrhosis
- Many of these diseases progress slowly from hepatitis to cirrhosis, often over 20 to 30 years.
- Both hepatitis A and B are reported to cause more virulent acute infections when a chronic liver condition exists
- Vaccines for Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B can be given if antibody levels are low in the blood
normally, excess dietary iron is not absorbed and is excreted in the stool. In the setting of many chronic liver diseases, there is a propensity for excess iron to accumulate in the liver
- Positive effects of MILK THISTLE for liver health include, antioxidant activity, toxin blockade, protein synthesis and immune modulatory role.
- Asparagus leaves have protective action on liver such as alleviation of alcohol hangover, resilience against toxins etc.